Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight, Cleveland kidnapping victims, offer thanks for all of the support they have received.

Courtesy of HuffPo:  

Stylish and smiling, three women allegedly held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade offered thanks on YouTube for emotional and financial backing they've received since going "through hell and back." 

From Amanda Berry, 27: "I want everyone to know how happy I am to be home, with my family, my friends," she said. 

"I would say `thank you' for the support," said a soft-spoken Gina DeJesus, 23, in response to prompting from a narrator. 

And from Michelle Knight, 32, who wasn't a familiar face on a milk carton around town like the other two, came a sometimes halting yet defiant reading of a statement. "I may have been through hell and back, but I am strong enough to walk through hell with a smile on my face and with my head held high," she said. "I will not let the situation define who I am. I will define the situation. I don't want to be consumed by hatred." 

The 3 1/2-minute video, produced last week and posted at midnight Monday, was filmed in a Cleveland law firm overlooking treetops, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum and Lake Erie. 

DeJesus' parents, Felix DeJesus and Nancy Ruiz, joined the heartfelt statements of gratitude, thanking the public for donations to a fund set up to help the women. More than $1 million has been donated. 

Ruiz encouraged parents with missing loved ones to reach out for assistance. "Count on your neighbors," she said. "Don't be afraid to ask for the help because help is available."

I surprisingly found watching this video a little emotional, not only for the terrible pain they were subjected to, but also how their mannerism indicate how it deeply it impacted them.

I have worked with the victims of sexual, emotional, and physical abuse and I can see it written all over these three. Especially the last one, Michele Knight.

I hope that they will fully recover and learn to overcome the nightmares, flashbacks, and difficulties learning to trust that often incapacitate women who have suffered similar violations..

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:10 AM

    Now these are survivors, and stronger than the victimization forced on them. My thoughts are with them as they continue to shed the shackles of captivity and abuse - to grow into fine, independent ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 AM

    I can't imagine what it's like, to be held captive by three losers and completely beholden to them. To wonder if you'll be beaten, raped, hungry or rescued today. Or tomorrow, next month or two years. These women, I'm so sorry for what they went through, and am so grateful they are now free. I hope they take the therapy that's available, and learn to cast those shitbags power over them off. Live free and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:56 AM

      From what I understand, they were held captive by only one loser, not three.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:16 AM

    You haven't posted about Sarah's political prick tease?

    http://news.yahoo.com/sarah-palin-says-she-might-run-senate-2014-223400513.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I went to adn to see what Alaskans were saying in the comments. This morning there were 0 comments checked again and only 1 comment

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:18 AM

    oops commented on wrong article

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I too was brought to tears by this video. Gryphen, you said

    "I have worked with the victims of sexual, emotional, and physical abuse and I can see it written all over these three. Especially the last one, Michele Knight."

    As someone with no real experience with abuse victims, I'm really interested in hearing about the behaviors, mannerisms, etc. that you picked up on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:33 PM

    Could someone take the GOD object out of this. She had horrible things visited upon her, period. GOD is a made up myth, reality is much more scary than the BIBLE, apparently evolution stopped when Moses showed up... I wish I fishing that day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:32 PM

      The woman spent 11 years locked in a cellar, experiencing horrific abuse. If her beliefs comfort her and help her heal, who are you to question that?!

      Delete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.