Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Fox News labels US Army designation of religious Right Wing anti-gay group as hate group, as an "attack on Christians and their beliefs."

Bryan Fischer
Courtesy of Fox News: 

Several dozen U.S. Army active duty and reserve troops were told last week that the American Family Association, a well-respected Christian ministry, should be classified as a domestic hate group because the group advocates for traditional family values. 

The briefing was held at Camp Shelby in Mississippi and listed the AFA alongside domestic hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan, Neo-Nazis, the Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam. 

This what one soldier supposedly reported to Fox:

The soldier said a chaplain interrupted the briefing and challenged the instructor’s assertion that AFA is a hate group. 

“The instructor said AFA could be considered a hate group because they don’t like gays,” the soldier told me. “The slide was talking about how AFA refers to gays as sinners and heathens and derogatory terms.” 

The soldier, who is an evangelical Christian, said the chaplain defended the Christian ministry. 

“He kept asking the instructor, ‘Are you sure about that, son? Are you sure about that?’” he said, recalling the back and forth.

Actually I think the instructor WAS sure that AFA is a hate group that targets homosexuals. 

This from the Southern Poverty Law Center:

The AFA has declared that “homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler … the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews,” suggested that gay sex be punished like heroin use, and said that the “homosexual agenda” endangers “every fundamental right” in the Constitution, including religious freedom. Both groups have enthusiastically promoted “reparative therapy,” which claims against the bulk of the evidence that it can “cure” gay men and lesbians and make them heterosexual, but in fact has left a string of people behind who were badly hurt by the process.

Ans what's more their most infamous spokesperson is Bryan Fischer. Here is a video of his many diatribes against gays.

Here is what Media Matters has to say about Fischer: 

Bryan Fischer, the American Family Association's unofficial spokesman and the group's director of issues analysis, has previously called on the government to prohibit mosques from being built anywhere in the United States, suggested "the most compassionate thing" America can do is deport all Muslims, and wrote that "gay sex is a form of domestic terrorism." 

The American Family Association has also enthusiastically endorsed Russian President Vladimir Putin's draconian anti-gay laws, with Fischer stating that the country isn't being homophobic but "homorealistic."

So yes they ARE a hate group, but labeling them as such is no more an "attack on Christians and their beliefs" then arresting a man for rape is an "attack on men and their penises."

And good for the US Army for calling them out for their hate speech and attacks on American citizens and military personnel.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 AM

    "Fair and balanced," my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally in MI7:13 AM

    These people have ruffled feathers because the military can no longer indoctrinate recruits into their version of Chrisitanity. See, because the real Christians are against war, and think all of God's creations are valuable, not 'enemies' to be abused, mutilated and killed because some government agents (military chaplains) call them evil. This brainwashing is why so many soldiers return with mental disorders...they are told to be Christian killers. How could that mess anyone up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:50 AM

    Slightly OT, but you did mention the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). This is in relation to the Oath Keepers who were waving their flag behind Palin in DC on Sunday.

    The Oath Keepers has come to the attention of anti-hate organizations such as the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which have cited the group in their reports on rising anti-government extremism.

    Today, groups like the Oath Keepers use the Internet, particularly Facebook and YouTube, and cable news networks, to connect with like-minded citizens around the world. “The underlying sentiment is an attack on government dating back to the New Deal and before,” Neiwert says. “Ron Paul has been a significant conduit in recent years, but nothing like Glenn Beck and Michele Bachmann [R-MN] and Sarah Palin (see October 10, 2008)—all of whom share that innate animus.” While Rhodes and most Oath Keepers say they will only begin active disobedience under the delineated circumstances laid out by the group, some members have gone down their own paths of violence…

    http://austinisafecker.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/sarah-palin-pallin-around-with-terrorists-the-tea-party-and-the-oath-keepers/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:55 AM

    The AFA co-sponsors the big 'Values Voters' conference. It's past time for the media to take note of the 'hate group' designation and similarly label Cruz, Lee, Gohmert, Santorum, and the rest of the fringe who mingle with the group and vie for its members' approval.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BabyRaptor9:16 AM

    I love how he kept calling him "son," trying to intimidate him and imply that the speaker was smarter and more mature.

    Christers can't win on the arguments, so they have to play dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:24 AM

    BEST DIVORCE LETTER EVER

    Dear Wife,

    I’m writing you this letter to tell you that I’m leaving you forever. I’ve been a good man to you for 7 years & I have nothing to show for it. These last 2 weeks have been hell. ... Your boss called to tell me that you quit your job today & that was the last straw. Last week, you came home & didn’t even notice I had a new haircut, had cooked your favorite meal & even wore a brand new pair of silk boxers. You ate in 2 minutes, & went straight to sleep after watching all of your soaps. You don’t tell me you love me anymore; you don’t want sex or anything that connects us as husband & wife. Either you’re cheating on me or you don’t love me anymore; whatever the case, I’m gone.
    Your EX-Husband

    P.S. don’t try to find me. Your SISTER & I are moving away to West Virginia together! Have a great life!

    Dear Ex-Husband,

    Nothing has made my day more than receiving your letter. It’s true you & I have been married for 7 years, although a good man is a far cry from what you’ve been. I watch my soaps so much because they drown out your constant whining & griping Too bad that doesn’t work. I DID notice when you got a hair cut last week, but the 1st thing that came to mind was ‘You look just like a girl!’ Since my mother raised me not to say anything if you can’t say something nice, I didn’t comment. And when you cooked my favorite meal, you must have gotten me confused with MY SISTER, because I stopped eating pork 7 years ago. About those new silk boxers: I turned away from you because the $49.99 price tag was still on them, & I prayed it was a coincidence that my sister had just borrowed $50 from me that morning. After all of this, I still loved you & felt we could work it out. So when I hit the lotto for 10 million dollars, I quit my job & bought us 2 tickets to Jamaica But when I got home you were gone.. Everything happens for a reason, I guess. I hope you have the fulfilling life you always wanted. My lawyer said that the letter you wrote ensures you won’t get a dime from me. So take care.

    Signed, Your Ex-Wife, Rich As Hell & Free!
    P.S. I don’t know if I ever told you this, but my sister Carla was born Carl. I hope that’s not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:28 AM

    This is a hateful group, no way around it. On topic, did you see this today? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/us/oregon-fathers-memorial-trek-across-country-ends-in-a-familys-second-tragedy.html
    We should hold a moment of silence for this loving father who took his grief and walked the country spreading love and trying to educate people against hatred. I hope those (churches, people, institutions) who can’t restrain their hate against gays will pay attention to this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita Winecooler5:47 PM

      I'll think of both and honor them with random acts of kindness. Mr Bell's love for his son touched me deeply.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Normally I would refrain from ever comparing anyone to Hitler, but after watching four minutes of this Bryan Fischer guy speak, I have to say that there has been nobody since Hitler, who has so totally reminded me of Hitler! The guy is obviously off his rocker. He claimed that Hitler used homosexual Stormtroopers to do all the heinous stuff because Hitler just couldn't get Christians to do it. Talk about your re-writing of history! Hitler persecuted the homosexuals right alongside the Jews, and when he found a homosexual amongst his SS, he killed them too. Who were Hitlers's agents? Non other than German Catholics and Lutherans, who had been whipped into a frenzy of Jew hatred for hundreds of years. Martin Luther actually wrote a book about his hatred of Jews, called, "On The Jews And Their Lies", and actively campaigned against them. First, he tried to convert them, and when they resisted, he decided that they needed to be driven out or exterminated. Yet, according to this Bryan Fischer bozo, the Christians were innocent, it was those damned homosexuals who were killing the Jews, and they're so evil, we need to do something about them before they do something to us first! I was raised in the Lutheran church, and you can bet that the Lutheran's part in Nazi Germany was never discussed..................it wasn't until I was in my 40's that I'd ever even heard about it. Thank the Universe for the internet, the new generation will hopefully not be so easily duped!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:50 PM

    If you scratch most of these little Right-Wing homilies you find absolutely no truth in them. Someone just makes the shit up and the Hater network bloggers get hold of it and then because it's Right-Wing and not true, Fox picks it up.

    Are you going to take Todd Starnes's word that this happened? I am not.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:49 PM

      Thank you Anonymous for your well stated assessment and open, easy to understand comments.

      Sadly as a church insider and recent convert to the party more like Christ as I see it, you have correctly identified an (epidemic) defying reason of how many have been led to extremism thru to many hours of Fox misinformation caring little of validity or even believability? I personally just don't get it?

      I hope when or if the fit hits the shan, and lately see more positive than negative politically due to social media and the worlds common sense, feel we might be progressing to a day where this type of unbelievable misinformation may be just that.

      Unbelievable...?

      Please, don't feel like everyone or even the majority of church goers are pushing R for Christlike ? Many as myself and wife have begun to understand, better late than never, Christ loved ALL people regardless of their social status, sexual origin, birth place, IQ, and yes even political view and made us ALL in his own image?

      We as humanity have a responsibility to each other to understand the issues and weed out the hype from the Truth before we enter the booth? Peace

      Delete
  10. Anita Winecooler5:53 PM

    Fisher and his ilk disgust me. The AFA protested Equality Forum in Philadelphia when Gov Rick "don't google my name" Santorum was Governor. I experienced their hate first hand. The SPLC is very picky who gets labelled a hate group. They chose well.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.