Sunday, March 30, 2014

Video game makers blame Satan for sabotaging their attempts to launch a Bible based adventure game.

Tim Curry from the movie "Legend."
Courtesy of Raw Story:  

The makers of a Biblical role-playing game that follows the life of Abraham are blaming their lack of success and inability to fund the project on the influence of Satan. 

Speaking with Polygon, Richard Gaeta, co-founder of Phoenix Interactive explained the company’s problems starting cropping up right after the launch of their Kickstarter campaign for Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham. 

“I believe that, 100 percent,” Gaeta said. 

“It’s very tangible,” explained business partner Martin Bertram. “From projects falling through and people that were lined up to help us make this a success falling through. Lots of factors raining down on us like fire and brimstone.” 

Phoenix Interactive’s Kickstarter failed to reach its $100,000 target, only managing to raise $19,000. 

Executives with troubled video game company see forces other than the marketplace at play. 

 "If Satan is rallying some of his resources to forestall, delay, or kill this project, I think, this must be a perceived threat to his kingdom,” said Ken Frech, a religious mentor on the project. “I fully would expect something like this to have spiritual warfare. Look at the gospel accounts of demons and so forth. That’s reality. Many Americans don’t believe it anymore. That doesn’t change reality.” 

In the action-RPG game Bible Chronicles: The Call of Abraham, gamers are an attendant in Abraham’s party, witnessing Biblical events, while playing an active role fetching, fighting and seeking. 

The developers point out that game will not be a glossy retelling of the Biblical story, but will follow a strict literal Biblical line.

You know I don't game all that often anymore, but I do pay attention to up and coming content just to see if anything catches my eye.

What I have noticed is that tons of game ideas never make it past the initial planning stages, and simply die on the vine due to lack of interest.

There are many reasons for this, bad marketing, bad development, bad idea, but I have NEVER heard one of these developers blame the Devil.

It must be nice to never have to take responsibilities for your failures, and instead have some imaginary boogeyman to blame them on.

I'm going to try that the next time I forget where I parked my car.

"No I'm NOT senile, I know exactly where I parked the car, but clearly Satan moved it."

Oh yeah, that should make me seem perfectly rational.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Video game makers blame Satan for sabotaging their attempts to launch a Bible based adventure game.


    I'm not trying to be funny or mean. I thought it was about Sarah. I need glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:05 PM

    I prefer my Tim Curry in Frank-N-Furter fishnets and sky-high pumps, but hey, he's also a Sexy-Satan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LisaB259512:57 PM

      Tim Curry is sexy anything. :D

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:09 PM

    tee hee hee. I was going to give these guys a million bucks to design soul-enriching video games

    If you are going to be a teenage couch potato with no ambition, at least do it in the name of the Lord our God....

    anyway, I changed my mind and they got nothing fro me...in the words of Flip Wilson, "the devil made me do it"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:25 PM

    If the game includes a way for me to play Nietzsche and kill god, then I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olivia12:26 PM

    Maybe they could enlist some of the fine Christians like Sarah Palin and the Koch Brothers or even the Duggars to fund it for them. How about Ken Ham or Kirk Cameron? Michele Bachmann would love to put Satan in his place. Surely they all would donate a few coins to promote this steaming pile of shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:01 PM

      Don't forget Santorum

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:03 PM

      I want a Google Earth app that allows me to use the F16 in the Flight Simulator to drop smart bombs on Palin's Wasilla and Scottsdale homes

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:40 PM

    This reminds of a time almost 40 years ago. I was taking a class at the local community college and someone I worked with was taking the same class. She called me one night to see if I could help her with an assignment since "god had other things for her to do that day". I told her that "god probably wanted her to get a bad grade for the assignment and I wasn't about to piss him off by helping her".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:42 PM

    I guess they didn't pray hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LisaB25951:02 PM

    When one considers the amount of flak taken for the movie Noah, I have no problem believing no publisher wants to take on a Biblically based game. It would simply not be well-received for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is I'm sure it would suck mightily.

    I play 3-4 games a year, and I'm in church every Sunday. I have no interest in playing any game based on the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boscoe1:06 PM

    As someone who spent 20 years as a videogame developer, I can tell you ALL the things that guy complained about are exceedingly COMMON. Things falling through and people letting you down are SOP. When that DOESN'T happen, you should feel blessed (and immediately go buy some lotto)!

    Blaming Satan for that stuff is exactly the same as blaming Satan because you didn't get all green lights on the way to work.

    Now... if the reason they only got $19k in their Kickstarter was because every time someone tried to donate, their computer jumped up off the table, ran across the room, set itself on fire, then jumped out a window, MAYBE they've got something...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:14 PM

    Any 80s kids here having NES Bible Adventures flashbacks? What a shitty idea, no wonder they didn't get funding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ibwilliamsi3:46 PM

    Isn't that special? Do you know who else hates Biblical themed video games?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Canadian Country Girl3:47 PM

    @Bosco- I can see why you were a video game developer. Jumped off the table? Ran across the room? Set iteslf on fire? Jumped out the window? Sounds like a video game to me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. KanaW7:28 PM

    Look at the gospel accounts of demons and so forth. That’s reality.
    Ooooookay. "Gospel accounts" "that's reality". Uh, no. That's stories.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.