Monday, October 27, 2014

Congressman Young "apologizes" to the Alaska Federation of Natives, and then promptly ruins it by assaulting a native woman who confronted him afterward.

So after making some incredibly insensitive remarks during an appearance at Wasilla High, where he essentially told an audience of students still mourning the loss of their friend to suicide that "suicide shows a lack of support from friends and family," Don Young tried to make nice with the the Alaska natives, whose communities have been ripped apart by the epidemic of suicide, by kind of sort of apologizing.

However one native Alaskan in attendance did not hear that apology, so she decided to talk to her Congressman in person.

Here is how that went.

Courtesy of TPM: 

Gloria Poullard approached Young to ask him about a profane speech he gave last week at Wasilla High School, in which the congressman offended students by arguing that suicide was caused by a lack of support from friends and family. 

"You know, it really put a hamper on my faith in you because my elders voted for you, and this is my state, I'm an Alaska native," Poullard said to Young, according to video of the exchange from local TV station KTUU. "How do you feel within yourself, what possessed you to even make a comment like that? My nephew just committed suicide." 

Young shushed her and shook her hand, to which Poullard responded "You don't tell me to shush." 

"Hey, I lost a nephew," he said. "I know what it feels like and I gotta ask myself, did I support him enough? Did I? I don't know." 

"Don't you get angry with me, don't even squeeze my hand," Poullard said. Young then released her hand and walked away.

Earlier I reminded you that Lisa Murkowski's successful write in campaign would probably have failed if not for the support of the AFN.

And a whole lot of Young's support comes from his ties to the Alaska native community.

I am not native but I am guessing that getting in their face and squeezing their hand until it hurts is not going to help him to gain back their confidence.  

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Rumor is that Don killed a native tribe member.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:30 PM

      Oh, the tribe member was who touched him last?
      Gotcha.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:56 PM

    C'mon, Alaska, get rid of him once and for ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:00 PM

    Odious old creep. Why are we always hearing about Don Young and never hearing about Forrest Dunbar?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hedgewytch5:05 PM

    What's that I hear? Oh, it's the sound of Forest Dunbar's campaign getting gaining ground. Do believe Old Don ought to be looking at travel brochures for his golden retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:25 PM

    This guy is a cretin. I bet people in DC can't walk fast enough in the other direction when they see him coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:38 PM

      He's a douche bag, also, too!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5:35 PM

    was it just me or did I hear him say "fuck it" when he threw her hand away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:10 PM

      I heard it too. What a dick head.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous5:35 PM

    Don Young has to go and if Alaskans reelects him they will really, really appear friggin' nuts! Palin, then Parnell- Alaskans have a bad history of pickin' their reps.

    And, Lisa Murkowski is the next one that has to go!!! Why, you ask? Because she talks out of both sides of her mouth and is on record for having done so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Did he actually have a nephew die or is that hooey, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:25 PM

      yup. I don't remember that.

      Hope he has that right. We will know soon one way or the other.

      Delete
  9. Would you guys please retire this rat bastard one and for all?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caroll Thompson2:28 AM

    Go Democrats................ The election is a week from today. Get out the old ladies and the 18 year old babies and get to the polls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:27 AM

    He doesn't know what he is talking about! We lost our son to suicide 2 years ago and we know his death had nothing to do with us. We were a happy close family. We are devastated and sorely grieving but we know his death was not due to lack of support by family and friends. He was so well loved and his funeral had historic attendance. Mr. Young better do some reading and research before he opens his mouth. Suicide happens every 14 minutes in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.