Thursday, January 08, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson gets his own science based talk show. I can almost hear conservatives changing the channel already.

Courtesy of the Hollywood Reporter:  

The astrophysicist and TV personality, who fronted Cosmos in 2014, has nabbed a late-night series on National Geographic Channel called Star Talk. 

“Cosmos allowed us to share the awesome power of the universe with a global audience in ways that we never thought possible,” said Tyson. “To be able to continue to spread wonder and excitement through Star Talk, which is a true passion project for me, is beyond exciting. And National Geographic Channel is the perfect home as we continue to explore the universe.” 

"This is kind of low-risk, I think, for National Geographic," Tyson told the crowd at the Television Critics Association press tour. "Star Talk exists as a thriving podcast right now."

I have actually listened to a few Star Talk podcasts.  They are very interesting though they do tend to meander quite a bit.

I will assume they will tighten things up for the televised version, and that Dr. Tyson will have a few other guests besides Bill Nye and Seth MacFarlane.

Hopefully he will continue to call out the Republicans on their anti-science agenda however.

19 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    I have no idea who this is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:11 PM

      You really should google him. He's an interesting person.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:49 PM

      2:42

      Comatose?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:20 PM

      You would know if you knew how to locate your navel.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:46 PM

    It's interesting that Sarah OWNS professional and nice clothing and has the ability to dress well. But she chooses to wear Todd's shirts often even for her channel videos, and wears carharrts (sp) and shit like that. That's pretty great actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leland3:02 PM

      And this deals with Dr. Tyson how?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:07 PM

      Stay on topic. Mercifully this post has nothing to do with the P person.

      Delete
  3. PalinsHoax2:55 PM

    "I can almost hear conservatives changing the channel already."

    Well now, to be fair Gryphen, (you know, "Fair and Balanced") whenever my remote is anywhere near a Faux Spews station, I quickly scurry the remote past it.

    Course, I have a legitimate reason for doing this ~ so that my home will not be polluted with their hysteria, paranoia and just plain babble mania.

    Congratulations to Dr. Tyson. I wish him all the best with his new show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a very interesting program, I think. His tweets are really great. I thought the Cosmos show was a very nice updating and expansion of the original cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:58 PM

      Yes, I am really looking forward to Star Talk. My husband (age 70) and I (age 66) have enjoyed both the old and new Cosmos series.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6:05 PM

      I think he's great. We watched the new Cosmos with our kids as I did when I was a kid.

      I even literally teared up a couple times when Tyson talked about meeting Carl Sagan and how inspiring he was.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:28 PM

    As someone who does a lot of science outreach with some amazingly creative scientists and engineers, I sometimes find NDGT a bit overbearing sometimes. And Bill Nye goofy. But I suppose the superstars get the public interested so we in the trenches can do the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:58 PM

      What he does really well is engage ordinary people. And that's vital to get Americans on board for addressing climate change and the challenge of future research among the stars. I'd give him David Letterman's slot - every night.
      Beaglemom

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! I wish I knew when they were planning on airing this new series! Accolades to Dr. Tyson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:07 PM

    deGrasse Tyson is very well spoken, and intelligent. sounds like a great show. Nye is the perfect Andy Rooney. When is the show starting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:10 PM

    I am looking forward to this. I hope he tackles a whole bunch of brader science issues besides astrophysics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:55 AM

      ooops, meant "broader"….

      Delete
  9. Anonymous4:41 PM

    I loved his tweets on Dec 25th:

    “On this day long ago, a child was born who, by age 30, would transform the world. Happy Birthday Isaac Newton b. Dec 25, 1642.”

    When the right outrage exploded he tweeted:

    “Merry Christmas to all. A Pagan holiday (BC) becomes a Religious holiday (AD). Which then becomes a Shopping holiday (USA).”

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:07 PM

    i will take Sir Isaac Newton to solve the puzzle Alex....
    Vanna White, turn over the letters....
    clap clap clap....
    foodstamp pete...lol

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.