Sunday, December 15, 2013

Good news brown people! The Mormons just decided that your pigment is not a punishment from God. And by "just" I mean this month.

"Wait. If the darkies are not cursed by god anymore, does that mean we have to like them?"
Courtesy of Alternet:  

As of Friday, Dec. 6, the Mormon Church has officially renounced the doctrine that brown skin is a punishment from God. 

In the “Book of Mormon,” (not the musical but the actual sacred text) dark skin is a sign of God’s curse, while white skin is a sign of his blessing. The book tells of a conflict between two lost tribes of Israel, the Lamanites and Nephites, who journeyed to the New World and made their home in Mesoamerica. The Lamanites sinned against God, and “because of their iniquity. …the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them” (2 Nephi 5:21). Later, when Lamanites became Christians, “their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites” (3 Nephi 2:15). 

These verses were thought to explain the dark skin of Native Americans. In 1960, Church apostle Spencer W. Kimball suggested at the general conference that Native Americans who converted to Mormonism were gradually becoming lighter skinned: 

"I saw a striking contrast in the progress of the Indian people today… The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos, five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation. At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter we represent, the little member girl—sixteen—sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents—on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather… These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness." 

The blackness of Africans derived from an even more ancient stain, Cain's murder of his brother Abel in the Genesis story. Joseph Smith taught that black people are cursed as “sons of Cain” but also could be saved. 

Brigham Young, his successor, was harsher: “Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so”

Well clearly "always be so" was an exaggeration, since I haven't seen any pasty white guys, with bad ties and pocket protectors, shooting Negroes for looking at their women recently. I'm not saying they don't want to, I'm just saying they haven't done it for awhile.

Can you believe they just changed this incredibly racist doctrine nine days ago? Gee I simply cannot understand WHY Mitt Romney had so much trouble attracting the black vote? Can you?

Religion, without that how would you know who you are supposed to feel superior to?

28 comments:

  1. Oh, good. The President of the church has had a conversation with God. Again (he's the only one that can, dontcha know...).

    "Its OK everybody - stop believing what we've been teaching you alllllll these years (especially if it messes up our White Horses's chances to run for president. Again). God has changed His mind."

    Nothing political going on here, nosiree. Carry on. ROTFL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And let us not forget, the second "m" is silent.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:42 AM

    Enjoying my buttered popcorn and hot chocolate as I watch this racist, sexist, homophobic religion try to back away from their established doctrine and scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. angela7:01 AM

    Damn.
    Delusional, grifting, assholes. This is why most religious doctrine makes me nauseous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:05 AM

    Oh this is just so sick. Sick as it gets:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/15/larry-pratt_n_4448979.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maple7:08 AM

    Whenever I read anything about Mormonism, I can only wonder how anyone could take Romney seriously. And Huntsman sounds sane, but then again, he's also a Mormon. It's as though, if they're that easily hoodwinked by their ridiculous religion, who on earth could trust them with either foreign or domestic issues....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:40 AM

      Agree with you, and those aren't the only Mormons. Harry Reid and others, that at this moment can't think of their names. That's not counting all the aids on staffs

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:31 AM

      And don't forget to add 'Glenn Beck' who joined the mormon church a few years back.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous8:39 AM

      And don't forget to add 'Glenn Beck' who joined the mormon church a few years back.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:18 AM

    I wonder just how "Mormon" John Huntsman really is.....

    RJ in Brownbackistan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About as Mormon as Harry Reid. But I suppose there are grades of Mormonism.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:25 AM

      Since he's a Democrat working to undo a lot of the damage done by the GOP, I suspect the only reason the Mormon church doesn't shun Harry Reid (or whatever they do to naughty members) is that he's such a prominent figure.

      Assuming he tithes the way he's supposed to, they're probably making a pretty penny off of him too, so that might be enough to keep him in their good graces!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:19 AM

    Such a delightsome article! That made me feel all white and delightsome inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:46 AM

      BWAHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
      I about peed my pants. Love this quote from their stupid book.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:08 AM

      very nice quote. Very Good.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous7:26 AM

    Telling it like it is...and it's truly vile.

    The Slow Motion Lynching of President Barack Obama

    I’ve watched liberal and right wing commentators alike blame the president for being lynched. They say “he’s not reaching out enough” or “he’s too cold.” It’s the equivalent of assuming that the black man being beaten by a couple of thug cops must have “done something.”

    I am a white privileged well off sixty-one-year-old former Republican religious right wing activist who changed his mind about religion and politics long ago. The New York Times profiled my change of heart saying that to my former friends I’m considered a “traitorous prince” since my religious right family was once thought of as “evangelical royalty.”

    I’ve just spent the last 7 years writing over 200,000 words in blogs and articles in support of President Obama. My blogs on the Huffington Post alone would add up to a book in support of the President of over 300 pages. Weirdly, I just realized that through all my writing, this has been the first time in my life I’ve personally gone to bat for a black man. It just happens that he’s a president. But my emotional stake in his life is now personal.

    So I’ve changed from a white guy who used to read news about some black man getting shot or beaten by cops or stand-you-ground types who assumed that the black man must have “done something,” to a white guy who figures that the black man was probably getting lynched. I’ve changed ideology but I’ve also changed my gut intuitive reactions.

    I’ve changed because if this country will lynch a brilliant, civil, kind, humble, compassionate, moderate, articulate, black intellectual we’re lucky enough to have in the White house, we’ll lynch anyone. What chance does an anonymous black man pulled over in a traffic stop have of fair treatment when the former editor of the Harvard Law review is being lynched?

    ...We’ve been watching a slow motion lynching of a moderate brilliant family man, a father, and faithful loving husband. The Republicans in Congress are so dedicated to lynching the President they’ve been willing to shut down our government and risk the future of our economy.

    more...

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frankschaeffer/2013/12/the-slow-motion-lynching-of-president-barack-obama/#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:17 AM

      EXCELLENT. And I totally agree.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:53 AM

      He's an excellent writer and has a unique perspective that is fascinating for those of us who enjoy listening to him or reading his work.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:21 AM

      Hi Frank! Great to see you've found Gryphen's most excellent blog! Welcome!

      Delete
    4. Anonymous4:16 PM

      Frankly,I have no idea how the President puts up with these.......(expletives).....lucky for them I'm not him.....

      Delete
  9. Anonymous8:28 AM

    O/T but I think this headline is hilarious.....

    http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publish/article_86972.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:40 AM

    Brigham Young and Joseph Smith were con men and racists. White=good. Any others=bad, ya know...that is what their "god" told them. Women were submissive to men. They bore a whole lot of children and it is still accepted. Why anyone would join this delusional organization of lies, promises of their own kingdoms and planets when they die is beyond anything rational.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Gosh just reading this made my skin more white and delightful! How nice to know I am no longer cursed, it makes we want to be a moron!


    Sarcasm intended

    Little Rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  12. The young men on the photo above look a lot more mature than the typical Mormon "elders" who ring my doorbell. Their church sends kids door-to-door, which makes it worse than Jehovah's Witnesses who at least send adults.

    The annoying business of "Surprise!" uninvited proselytizing or evangelizing to strangers is another reason people dislike Mormons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:51 AM

      Last time I had Jehovahs at my door they left a dog in their car ( direct sun on a 110 degree Texas day) I stormed out of the house , got the dog and carried him to soak him under the hose, handed him off to hubby to get into the airconditioned house. And then I let them have it, I said they either signed the dog over to me or I would call my buddy the sheriff and have them arrested for animal cruelty. I haven't seen them again, but the dog is still here , alive , and healthy.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:33 PM

      Jehovah's often travel door to door with a small child thinking that the presence of a child will keep us from telling them off and sending them on their way. I just tell them I'm Atheist and have been so for many generations and their time would be better spent elsewhere. Mormons get the same message, although sometimes I greet them in bra and undies just to see their reaction.

      Delete
  13. Anita Winecooler5:49 PM

    Something tells me someone reads this blog and is high up in the Mormon Church. A few days after the "Black Jesus/White Jesus" kerfuffle, they suddenly lift this age old sacred curse from God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I didn't know one can justified lies and ignorance in one silly swoop. Caused I heard (your) god say so.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.