Thursday, May 29, 2014

A time lapse video of Anchorage that will make you wish that you lived here too.

Courtesy of the Movoto Blog:  

This stunning time lapse of Anchorage places you right in the middle of what you could only hope to see in person. I’m talking about the Northern Lights, and they’ll absolutely give you chills. 

Cinematographer Zan Butler transforms the dark, cold winter into a season of understated beauty. Watch as the open spaces that surround the city fill the frames and push any sight of people into the margins. Apart from the slight flashes of distant streetlights, winding cars, and overhead planes, the icy mountains and waterways are undisturbed.

Just imagine, I get to see this everyday.

My daughter occasionally gets on my case for not wanting to visit the lower 48, or leave the country. But I always say why should I, when I am constantly amazed by what is just outside my very own door?

Kind of a nice change after that whole everything's on fire video I shared earlier, don't you think?

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:35 AM

    The Northern Lights are amazing. We don't have them in New England, but it is very pretty around here, too.

    Travel is important - meeting new people, experiencing for a few days what it's like to like in another culture. But there's nothing like loving where you live! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:38 AM

    Because traveling is more than geography and topography.

    It's about being immersed in another culture - different surroundings, different rules. ..different!

    You realize that Sarah Palin was riDiculed for not traveling outside Alaska. It really is important to broaden your world view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-oh This video does not open for me? :-( Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:30 AM

    Gryphen, you do live in a stunningly beautiful part of the world, and you're performing a vital public service with IM.

    But, once the Palin menace is once and truly gone, pls. consider visiting the top five or ten places on earth that intrigue you the most: the London of Sherlock Holmes; Ground Zero and the energy of New York City; Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon; Quebec City; Cape Cod; the Mississippi River; Notre Dame in Paris; San Francisco; Key West; Tokyo; Beijing; Chicago's architecture....
    Well, you get the idea. As others have stated, travel is an education for your heart and your head. You owe it to yourself .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other commenters have it right, Gryphen: There's a lot to see even if you only travel to parts of the lower 48 (oh, don't miss Hawaii, too!). Even a trip across country on I-90 reveals some pretty spectacular sights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:48 AM

    I love love love my Rocky Mountains, but have long considered living in AK. That video brings back that yearning. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anita Winecooler6:19 PM

    I've done a lot of travelling, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Australia, Hungary, Brazil, Switzerland, Germany, India, Argentina, 34 states including Alaska (twice) and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. And you're right, Alaska IS an amazing place.The film is gorgeous, but the Northern Lights must be experienced to really do it justice.
    Do they have one of Bogota N.J,, by any chance? Yeah, I thought not....

    All I could think of was Sarah going to China and India, then staying holed up in her hotel room on diazepam and red bull. What a fool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. physicsmom8:36 PM

    Pretty much the only thing on my bucket list is to see the Aurora Borealis in person. We cruised to Alaska once hoping to see it, but it wasn't a good sun spot time. We also went to Iceland on a cruise, but no luck that time. I guess I really need to go there and stay for an extended period of time to give myself a real opportunity to experience the Aurora. Somehow, I'm going to work that in to my future plans. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.