Friday, December 23, 2005

Elementary school bans Christmas trees and songs from "Jesus Christ Superstar". What? No Showtunes? Why the hate for the gay kids?

Some parents are scratching their heads after school administrators insisted students call a Christmas tree a "magical tree," the color red was removed from green and red elf hats, and songs from "Jesus Christ Superstar," were pulled from a winter concert.

As an unofficial, self appointed, pseudo intellect for the other side I would just like to say that this is stupid! Was that too intellectual?

Look I understand the need to be sensitive to the multiple religious beliefs of all of the children attending a public school. I get that! But really what does the freaking Christmas tree have to do with the Jesus? Nothing. Christmas is the most commericalized, capitalist friendly holiday on the planet! There is so little religion left in this thing that the guys at CSI would be hard pressed to identify it.

Isn't that what the Christians are so puckered up about? Look we can call it a magical tree, a holiday tree, santa's present dumping station, but nobody is being fooled! It is a freaking Christmas tree! And red and green are outlawed? If we are going to be forbidding colors then I nominate pink. I fucking hate pink!

And what about "Jesus Christ Superstar"? That is a great musical! I am an athiest and it is still probably my all time favorite. And as for it being too religious, I would like to point out that in almost every venue that the musical is put on that at least one local church finds it necessary to picket the place because of the way that Jesus is portrayed. So clearly this is not embraced by all members of Christianity. Besides it may be the first time for a sexually confused little boy to learn the words to "I don't know how to love him."

So I am on the side of the Christians on this one. Try not to have a seizure.

However, since I agree with you on this I want you to leave Halloween alone. If we can celebrate the birth of your diety then you should leave the Wiccans and Neo-pagans alone as they pay homage to their pantheon of minor dieties. It just seems fair.

In the immortal words of one Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?".

Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.