Tuesday, December 30, 2014

President Obama has a message for Republicans in 2015. I have a veto pen and I am not afraid to use it.

"Nice try Boehner."
Courtesy of the Chicago Sun Times:  

Warning from President Barack Obama to congressional Republicans: I have a veto pen and, come January, I won’t be afraid to use it. 

Since taking office in 2009, Obama has only vetoed legislation twice, both in fairly minor circumstances. But with Republicans set to take full control of Congress next year, Obama is losing his last bulwark against a barrage of bills he doesn’t like: the Senate. 

“I haven’t used the veto pen very often since I’ve been in office,” Obama said in an NPR interview airing Monday. “Now, I suspect, there are going to be some times where I’ve got to pull that pen out.” 

He added: “I’m going to defend gains that we’ve made in health care. I’m going to defend gains that we’ve made on environment and clean air and clean water.”

Yeah I have a feeling that the President might want to stock up on pen refills, because there is little doubt that the Republicans are going to try to repeal Obamacare repeatedly and pass all kinds of crazy legislation that he cannot let stand.

If we thought there was a contentious relationship between the President and the Congress before, I believe we have not seen anything yet.

10 comments:

  1. YEEHAW! I think of a line I picked up from the HBO series Rome (which, for some reason I use alot) :
    "Shall I be merciful?...I think not."
    Wield that pen, Mr. President!
    Love, Georgia, usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next two years could be the down fall of the Republican Party if they try to pass legislation the majority of the public see as strictly partisan and too favorable for business at the expense of the middle class. I fully expect the Republicans will try to find out just how far they can push Obama and the Democrats by passing legislation favorable to business, particularly to large businesses, and also try to cut taxes further for the rich. They'll be representing mostly those who contribute the most to their campaigns with little concern for the middle class, except for their votes. They'll do this like they've done in the past by rewarding their donors, while continuing to feed conservative voters with lies and misinformation about Obama and the Democrats through Fox and other conservative pundits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:15 PM

      Don't forget that they'll also be pushing a Koch-mandated social platform that goes against what most Americans want and believe, and that their Fox News/old white guy base continues to age....

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:52 PM

    It makes me sad to think that President Obama is going to have to continue putting up with the Republican bullshit from the United States Congress.

    I'm glad he is basically saying to them 'screw you, you fuckers"!

    Even in the Bills that will be passed and require President Obama's signature, they will have contain amendments to them (put in by the members of the U.S. Congress) that will make the signing of the Bill difficult.

    I can hardly wait to read the book that President Obama will pen AFTER he is finishes his second term as POTUS. I have no doubt it will be a huge best seller!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:18 PM

    O/T Gryphen: Did you see this -http://www.theindychannel.com/news/u-s-world/mom-shot-killed-by-2-year-old-son-at-wal-mart

    Another STUPID, STUPID, STUPID death and a child scarred for life!

    DontHatetheGame

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully Pres. Obama has taken to heart the Eddie Murphy line that Axel said to those low lifes in the bar he rousted;
    "I'm your worst nightmare, a nigger with a badge"!
    I hope you'll pardon my usage, but the line doesn't work without it. I just hope the President has learned his lesson and will no longer trust the "low lifes" on the other side of the aisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, johnie. I too have recalled that line in connection with our wonderful President and what he represents to the rascists and to those only want to protect fetuses and white, straight men. I only hope President Obama makes the Republicans' lives a nightmare this coming year.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:02 PM

    The legislation which the republican congress passes, and which Obama vetoes will define the issues to be debated in the 2016 campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:24 PM

    O/T http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/thats-what-she-said-a-year-of-sarah-palin-gibberish-wtf-and-stone-cold-grifting/

    ReplyDelete
  8. O/T 2 year old kills mother in a Wal-Mart;
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/30/2-year-old-shoots-woman_n_6397328.html

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.