Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I was totally thinking about this today. I am only posting this to brag about my clairvoyance.

The computer keyboard helped kill shorthand, and now it's threatening to finish off longhand.

When handwritten essays were introduced on the SAT exams for the class of 2006, just 15 percent of the almost 1.5 million students wrote their answers in cursive. The rest? They printed. Block letters.

At Keene Mill Elementary in Springfield, Debbie Mattocks teaches cursive once a week to her gifted-and-talented group of third-graders -- mainly so they can read it. All their poems and stories are typed. Children in Fairfax County schools are taught keyboarding beginning in kindergarten.

"I can't think of any other place you need cursive as an adult other than to sign your name," she said. "Cursive -- that is so low on the priority list, we really could care less. We are much more concerned that these kids pass their SOLs [standardized tests], and that doesn't require a bit of cursive."

I saw some kids practicing this today and I just wondered if anybody still even uses cursive. Do you know why I was wondering that? Because I am freaking Nostradamus!

And this completely erases the fact that I misplaced my car in a parking lot today. This clairvoyance thing kind of comes and goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.