Monday, December 01, 2008

Rachel Maddow for "Meet the Press"? Yes please!

I say give Meet the Press to Rachel Maddow. She’s smart. She’s quick. She’s witty. She does her homework. And she listens to what the person she’s talking to is saying. She doesn't just go to the next question on her list.

If Obama is post-racial, Maddow is post-gender—divested of hair-frosted femininity in the anchor genre and more appealing because of it. Like him, she’s a calm, unflappable new era phenomenon. Sure, she’s a lefty, and in the past week she's been swinging away at Obama's cabinet choices, but I suspect she's ambitious enough to dial it back if she had to. (She also has that weird TV gene that’s so hungry for air time she’d probably insist on keeping her five-day job at MSNBC. Russert himself was on every show except Project Runway.)


These are the words of Tina Brown the founder and editor-in-chief of The Daily Beast, and past editor of Vanity Fair and the New Yorker. And I could not agree more.

Rachel Maddow is a passionate journalist who tirelessly pursues the truth even after others have moved on to sexier stories.

Maddow has been very good friend to Alaska and has had a number of local politicians, media personalities, and other newsworthy Alaskans on her show. Including Bill Wielechowski, Hollis French, Walt Monegan, Mark Begich, and of course my fellow blogger Shannyn Moore.

Rachel has treated these Alaskans with respect and demonstrated a genuine desire to hear their stories and to give them a platform on which to speak to the American public. And for that we are eternally grateful.

She is, as I have often noted, the favorite broadcaster of the Alaskan progressive bloggers. I believe almost all of us watch her show religiously.

I have no evidence to suggest that Rachel Maddow is on anybodies short list to replace the virtually irreplaceable Tim Russert, but if that is even the slightest of possibilities then I would just like to add my two cents and say, NBC could not make too many better choices, but they certainly could do much, much worse.

So yes, let Rachel Maddow host "Meet the Press". I know I will certainly not miss a single episode.

6 comments:

  1. I would vote for that. And my second choice would be David Shuster. He is also a very good voice for everything positive and good. And much, much better than Gregory. Anyone would be better than Gregory. Even a trained monkey would be better than Gregory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:15 PM

    I haven't been able to stand the sight of Gregory ever since he played backup boob to Rove's rap impersonation. I swear if there is one thing I wish I could unsee in my life, that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see Rachel Maddow on Sarah palin? watch the video you'll love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:14 AM

    I like Rachel, but shouldn't we be looking for a journalist who doesn't have such strong leanings in either direction? She is very liberal. I would like to see someone who is more centralist do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I think she could be if she needed to be. Much more so than Gregory. He is so obviously a righty.

    But I think her professionalism would take over in a setting like that and she would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:48 AM

    I have been listening to Rachel on xm radio for a while and really like her. But that is on a channel that is suppose to be liberal. Meet the Press is suppose to be more central, less opinions from the host. But are there any journalist who are centralist anymore?

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.