Friday, February 05, 2010

Best political slogan ever! "I assure you. I never touched the woman, I never tried to cut her throat"

From the same state that brought you Roland Burris, Rod Blagojevich, and some guy named Barack Obama comes the saga of the Pawnbroker.

What's with the mad rush to judgment against Illinois' hottest political celebrities, the Pawnbroker and his ex-girlfriend, the Hooker?

Leading Democrats and some in the media are in a frenzy, demanding the head of the Pawnbroker, Scott Lee Cohen, the Democratic nominee for the office of lieutenant governor.

And now because he once had a hooker girlfriend — he still insists she was a "massage therapist" —and because of a domestic battery charge that was dropped, the inquisitors want the Pawnbroker off the ticket.

But I say, "Whoa, Nellie!"

Not so fast, my friends. Why become a lynch mob? In the name of decency, fairness — not to mention the requirements of columnists — let's take it easy here.

The Pawnbroker doesn't seem to be one of those free-spending Democrats. He's more a pay-as-you-go kind of guy, both with $2 million in radio ads and the massage that started it all.

"I assure you. I never touched the woman, I never tried to cut her throat," Cohen said in an interview Thursday on " Chicago Tonight." "I never knew her as a prostitute. She was a massage therapist."

Host Phil Ponce asked, with great dignity: How did you meet her?

"In a massage therapy place," Cohen said, adding that there was nothing sexual about the therapy.


"Okay look. My ex-wife may or may not have been a prostitute. I may or may not have met her while getting a massage. Which may or may not have had a "happy ending". And I may or may not have put a knife to her neck. But I never tried to cut her throat!"

Now who WOULDN'T want to run for governor with this guy on their ticket?

After all of the lumps Alaska has taken recently for its political choices I just thought I should point out that we are not the ONLY ones who have colorful characters in our government.

Oh and you definitely need to click the title and read the rest of this story. I have only shown you the tip of this iceberg.

11 comments:

  1. I'm from Illinois and I want this jerk off the ticket myself! Please! This is the "normal" for Illinois. Has been since Al Capone. I think I'll move to Louisiana - oh, wait, um, er. Oh well,GO SAINTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:47 AM

    hey Now!! Stop maligning my state! LOL Listen, nobody thought this clown was going to win the primary...seriously. I sat here stunned. But he poured a ton of his own money into the race and had some good ads.

    Thing is nobody knew any of this nonsense and yeah, like when Alaskans elected Sarah Palin, we obviously weren't paying attention. However, unlike Alaskans we have not elected this clown to Lt. Gov. yet and I doubt he'll get the job. Hell, it's going to be tough on any Dem here thanks to Blowjobavich, the creep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:49 AM

    You must be reading the emails...No wonder Sarah knows nothing, with her looks, as a front, Todd ran the state of Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ManxMamma7:04 AM

    Totally OT - see MSNBC's story on the Toad's role in Palin's term as governor. Front page!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gasman7:16 AM

    OK, Mr. Pawnbroker of Illinoins wins the award for "Clueless Chutzpah," and their former Gov. Blago has a commanding lead for the "Brazen Corruption" trophy, but Alaska STILL claims top honors for "Most Imbecilic, Brain-Dead, Slobbering Goober of a Governeor Award" with your entry of Sarah Palin. She is the total package. She has ignorance, arrogance, and mendacity in equal portions. I hope and pray that no other state, Alaska included, EVER feels the need to field someone capable of wresting the title from Former Partial Gov. Sarah "The Imbecilic" Palin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OY. Illinois was my home for more than 55 years and we are tied with Louisiana for most embarrassing pols. I wouldn't mind Scott Cohen if he was a Republican - but a DEMOCRAT!

    He'll have the "Sarah Palin" effect on the governor's race in November. I can't remember if the two candidates are listed as a team or if Governor and LtGovernor are separate marks on the ballot, but his being on the ballot at ALL will make it difficult for ANYBODY to vote for the Dems for Governor.

    Oh, and by the way, in my new state, New Mexico, the old adage that all the politicians are either "crooks or idiots" seems true.

    "Governor Bill" is a smart crook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:57 AM

    Pls fix typo

    the saga of the Paunbroker.


    s/b Pawnbroker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura7:59 AM

    I live in Illinois and I am pretty darn tired of all of the 'colorful characters', as you put it, in our government. The pawnbroker needs to step down or he will bring down the ticket without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gasman8:48 AM

    phoebes in santa fe,
    I am a dyed in the wool bloody knuckle liberal here in New Mexico and I can't stand Bill Richardson. The pandering moron drove our state budget into the ditch with his Reaganesque "the rich are too burdened with taxes" act. I was also delighted when that Mussolini wannabe, Manny Aragon, went to prison. Democrat or not, he was a loathsome crook who deserved all of the humiliation he received. I hope his dance card is perpetually full.

    That's the difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals have no problem eating their own. I haven't heard of any liberals defending John Edwards. We all want his head on a pike. Notice the startling lack of such reciprocal anonymosity from the national GOP directed at Ensign, Vitter, Sanford, et al.

    Remember, the conservative mantra: IOKIARDI.

    Shouts of "hola" from across the valley way over in White Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Gasman! Did you get the snow we did these last two weeks? The only lucky thing is that it melts on the streets pretty fast!

    An old college buddy of my ex-husband lives and grew up in Farmington and Aztec. He was the one who told my ex many years ago in college the old adage about New Mexico pols. Of course, ol' college buddy is a rock-ribbed Republican today (maybe 'cause his family owns a bunch of banks in that part of the state.)

    Diane Denish seems like a competent non-entity, though I've never met her in person. I was so mad two years ago at the mess the NMDP made of the "early voting for President" when Richardson was still in - or thought he was in - contention for the nomination.

    The NMDP sent me an email the other day inviting me to a reception here in SF next week to meet Howard Dean. I still haven't decided whether I want to pony up $250.00 to do so. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ranks right up there with "I never had sex with that woman" by Bill Clinton.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed the trolls!
It just goes directly to their thighs.